Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Newbie

The past couple of weeks I have been running with the bulls. I knew that the industry was saturated with men, but I had NO idea. They are, for the most part, wonderful men and have been helping me every step of the way. Most of my classmates have been in the department for at least a few semesters, but there are a few of us newbie (like the new vines planted above).

The program is wonderful. I knew it would be great, but I had NO idea. The grape science class is kicking my butt, but I am crossing my fingers that he grades on a curve. I took my first take home quiz and realized how little I know. -grin Since then, I have been all study and no play. I am starting to get the hang of the viticulture thing.

I have spent a couple of days in the vineyards harvesting. It is very romantic getting up at 4am to pick grapes. Other then that I have been out tasting, tasting my nose, and relearning scientific terms.

I have made an executive decision. I don't want to wait tables, even if it is at a popular vineyard. I just don't want to do it...so, I am out looking for employment in anything BUT waiting tables. I figure this is just a part time job, so I can work as a bakery clerk if need be.
Brian is coming up this weekend. We plan to hit the Blue Ridge Parkway and have lunch at Chateau Morrisette on Saturday. Sunday, I think I will take him down to Mount Pilot and then to a friends vineyard, Round Peak.


No comments: