Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Elkin Creek Vineyard

So much has been going on in Mount Airy. Let's see if I can catch you up. School is going well. As far as I know I am getting straight As, for the first time in my life. I am very excited about being in the program and have found direction in a long time passion. Next semester I will begin my winemaking programs, as well as vineyard establishment. It feels great to be a good student, but I am a little nervous about taking 18 credit hours next semester. WHAT WAS I THINKING? For some reason I think I can...I think I can. I have decided that I will be getting an associates degree, just to have the feeling of accomplishment. I am looking into Cornell University in Ithica, NY for continuing my education. From my understanding they have a great Classics Program, so it might fit well for both Brian and myself.


I have been hired at two wineries. The first is Round Peak Vineyards, as a event planner and tasting room assistant (part-time). I have hosted two functions to day, a Skull Camp Out! and a Holiday Pairing. My other job is at Brushy Mountain Winery, as a bookkeeping and a winemaker's assistant (part-time). I start the second on Saturday. I am very excited to have the opportunity to work with a winemaker! It gets me more step closer to the end result. I have my resume into a third vineyard/winery, so fingers crossed I can add one more day of tasting room assistant to that list, so I can network even more!

Tiger Mountain Vineyard (GA)

Brian and Mom made it to town a month ago and I took them to my favorite vineyard/winery, Elkin Creek Vineyard. If you have the opportunity to order a bottle it should be the 2007 Family Reserve. It will make you want to bake bread! It is just that good. A couple of weeks later my friend, Lauren, and I returned for an interview with the owner and were talked into (no arms were twisted) become a wine club memeber. SO WORTH IT! I think I will be volunteering for the owner, Mark, next summer. I want to learn how to make wine from him. He is third generation winemaker.
Elkin Creek Vineyard (NC)

I have fallen in love with this area, so Brian and I are thinking about buying a holiday home for me to spend the next 2 years. Mount Airy is close to the Blue Ridge Mountains and since the economy has hit the area so hard it is a great time to buy. I figured I could drop my monthly expenses by buying a home...who knew! It is kind of weird being a broke college student, living month to month (10$ an hour doesn't go far). I had my eye on a crappy fixer-upper lake mountain house, but someone swept it up from under me before I had a chance to look at it. Don't fear, I will find another crappy mountain house, just not with a lake. POOP! teehee. I am heading out before work today to look at a few.

Tiger Mountain Vineyard (GA)

No comments: